Posted on Jul 6th, 2010 in Food Gold by Mr. Goldbar
Yo! It is literally one hundred and two degrees here in NYC so once again this week’s Food Gold is going to be a “non cooker.” The good news is that we have a new lively and lovely fruit-based salsa for you cats to try out. It takes about ten minutes to whip up and can be used throughout the week to add some zip to your breakfast burrito, tortilla chips or love life. It also tastes about 10000x better than the store bought stuff, which is often loaded with loads of extra salt and old fruit.
So long as you pay attention the size of your cuts when you are doing your prep work, you really can’t mess this up! Let’s do this.
Mango Salsa Verde
– 1/2 cup fresh mango, peeled and diced into bite sized cubes
– 1/2 cup roughly chopped green or red tomato
– 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion (don’t make the pieces too big!)
– 3 or 4 teaspoons of fresh chopped cilantro (remember to not make the pieces too big, no one wants a mouth full of cilantro!)
– Black pepper
– Pinch of cumin or chili powder or both
– Splash of olive oil if you like
– Splash or two of fresh squeezed lime juice
– Cubed or chopped avocado if serving fresh and you have an extra avocado on hand
1. Mix all ingredients together in large bowl, adding more salt or lime juice as necessary to balance out the salty with the acidic and the sweet. It should be very bright and fresh but not overly acidic or salty. Let stand in refrigerator for a few hours to let flavors marry, then serve atop your choice or chips, tacos or flat bread.
Fork The Word,