Posted on Feb 1st, 2011 in Food Gold by Mr. Goldbar
One of the questions I get asked a lot when it comes to home cooking on a weeknight is how one can take pre-made, store bought items like ravioli and take them to another dimension of deliciousness. This week on Food Gold, we are going to offer an elegant response to that question using Trader
Joe’s Giotto’s Butternut Squash Ravioli, some butter and some fresh arugula. Most people don’t think to cook arugula and use it the same way you would fresh spinach, but if you can take the leap of faith with us you won’t be disappointed. Here, the sweetness of the butternut squash is offset by the funky, slightly bitter notes of arugula and a delicious, nutty sauce comprised of little more than unsalted butter and some pasta water. It’s a winner for sure. Let’s go!
- 1 package pre-made Trader Joe’s Butternut Squash ravioli
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups fresh arugula
- Freshly grated Parmesan to garnish
- Fresh grated pepper to taste
1. In a medium sized pot/large saucepan filled with salty (like the ocean) water, boil ravioli for approx 2 minutes. They are already cooked so be sure not to let them go too long. You are just heating them through.
2. Remove ravioli from pot. Set aside on a plate and reserve approx 1/2 tablespoon of water in the pot.
3. Make the brown butter sauce. Return pot to stove and heat butter over medium/low heat until it starts to foam, approx 2 minutes. Stir frequently. Once the foam has subsided, it will start turning brown from the center of the pot on out. Keep stirring. Once it smells nutty, turn off the heat, otherwise it will burn and before you know it you will be screwed.
4. Toss fresh arugula with the brown butter until it wilts. Grate in some fresh Parmesan cheese and give the whole a big stir.
5. Return cooked ravioli to the pot, coat with sauce and let stand approx 3 minutes.
6. You are done!
Fork The World,