Posted on Oct 14th, 2011 in Food Gold by Mr. Goldbar
Fall is here so it’s time to time to get hearty up in this party. After a few vegetable chats, we are back with a “game kicker” of the first order, NY strip steak with grilled radicchio and beets + bleu cheese dressing. It’s savory, a bit rich, a bit bitter and super easy to finesse. You know how to throw stuff on a grill and also whisk up a vinaigrette, right? Yeah, you do. You GOT THIS!
NY Strip Steak w Grilled Radicchio, Beets + Bleu Cheese Dressing (serves two)
– 8 ounces New York strip steak, or a comparably tender cut of beef. This will be split into two portions but you can cook it as one piece if you like.
– Maldon flaky salt (excellent for texture as well as taste)
– Freshly ground peppercorns
– 1 medium head of Radicchio, cut in half, cored and quartered once halved. Should look kinna like this.
– Olive oil to coat
– Couple of tablespoons of goat cheese. You can also use bleu cheese, but you may want to use a bit less since that stuff can be very funky and flavorful.
– Few splashes of white wine or champagne vinegar
– 3 teaspoons of olive oil
– Teaspoon or two of fresh parsley
– Teaspoon of fresh minced shallot
– Some mustard to help emulsify the dressing.
– 1 package pre-cooked beets
1. Preheat your grill over high heat for a long time, at least 5 minutes, or until smoking.
2. Quickly season your steaks with plenty of salt and pepper, plus a schmear of olive oil.
3. Throw steaks on the grill (don’t touch them once they hit) and cook for approx 3 1/2 minutes per side, or until medium rare. Remove from grill and let them rest for as long as it takes to cook the radicchio.
4. Leave grill on high and let it get hot again. While that is happening, season radicchio with salt and pepper and coat with olive oil.
5. Throw radicchio on the grill and cook for approx 6 minutes, or until it is wilted and slightly charred. Prep beets by cutting them into bite-sized quarters while you watch the grill.
6. Make your dressing. Throw cheese into a bowl and whisk until it is smooth. Then add shallot and parsley and mustard. Finally add vinegar and oil and mix it up. Check for seasoning and taste, taste, taste.
7. Plate this up! Place grilled radicchio on plate, top with beets and dress with dressing. Portion your steaks into two and lovingly place them on top of the veggies. Remember to cut your steaks against the grain (shout out Bad Religion) and you will be in 7th heaven!
Fork The World,