If you thought that cole slaw was the only slaw in town, you are missing out good people. I really love the red cabbage and kale slaw we are going to make this week, mostly because the flavor combos are really modular. I went in a Southwest direction with the lime juice, cilantro and Braggs but you could just as easily go in with fish sauce, ginger and scallions. Almost anything goes! Serve with rich, fatty foods and enjoy.
(Almost) Anything Goes Red Cabbage and Kale Slaw
- Approx 10 ounces shredded red cabbage
- Approx 8 ounces of chopped kale, stems removed
- Juice of a lime
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of fresh chopped cilantro
- Jalapeno (seeds removed) cut into thin strips
- Few splashes of Bragg liquid Aminos (or soy sauce if you can’t find Bragg)
- Splash of sesame oil
- Sesame seeds or pine nuts / almonds for a lil crunch
1. Cut up your cabbage to your desired thickness (or just get the pre cut kind they sell at most grocery stores.) If you want to eat the slaw as a side, I’d recommend slicing it thinner and more elegantly. If you want to use as a garnish for a taco or burrito, a rougher, more rustic chop is a good look.
2. Cut up your kale, making sure to remove the tough stalks. Since you are serving this raw, you don’t want those bits.
3. Add your cilantro and jalapenos.
4. Splash some Bragg up in there. Watch out cause it is mad salty. Add lime juice to balance it out. Go back and forth until it is delicious.
5. Add your crunch.
Fork The World,