Our dudes The Rub are celebrating the 10 year anniversary of their long-running Brooklyn dance party this weekend with “Summer Of The Rub,” a free all-day, all-ages blowout at Dekalb Market on Saturday (6/23). To celebrate, they put together a great mix of classic rock (really!) for the Foolcast.
Subscribe to the Foolcast via iTunes or your favorite RSS reader at the main Foolcast page, where you can also download the mix directly (right click and save-as). Hit the jump for the tracklist alongside Ayres’ explanation of how the inspiration all came together (as well as details for the party, which will also feature Neil Armstrong and Rich Medina on the decks).
Saturday, June 23
Summer Of The Rub
DJ Ayres & DJ Eleven
Dekalb Market (outdoors! capacity 2000!)
Free + All Ages, 4-10 PM
138 Willoughby at Flatbush, Brooklyn
The Rub (Ayres & Eleven) – Summer of The Rub Foolcast
1. Rolling Stones – Paint It Black
2. Cream – White Room
3. Jimi Hendrix – All Along The Watchtower
4. Sly & The Family Stone – I Want to Take You Higher
5. Flaming Ember – Gotta Get Away
6. Rare Earth – I Just Want To Celebrate
7. James Gang – Funk #49
8. Steppenwolf – Magic Carpet Ride
9. The Doors – Peace Frog
10. The Doobie Brothers – Long Train Running
11. Stealers Wheel – Stuck In The Middle With You
12. The Beatles – Glass Onion
13. T.Rex – Bang A Gong (Get It On)
14. The Zombies – Time of the Season
15. The Rolling Stones – Sympathy For The Devil
16. Jimi Hendrix – Crosstown Traffic
17. Erma Franklin – Light My Fire
18. Eric Burdon & The Animals – Good Times
19. The Temptations – Psychedelic Shack
20. Sly & The Family Stone – You Can Make It If You Try
21. The Doors – Break On Through (To The Other Side)
22. Led Zeppelin – Whole Lot Of Love
23. The Turtles – Happy Together
24. Santana – Jingo
We were throwing around ideas for ways to celebrate The Rub’s 10 Year Anniversary and we came up with the Summer Of The Rub theme, along with doing a psychedelic ’60s Fillmore-style poster. Burlesque Design was the obvious choice and they knocked it out of the park.
At the same time we were trying to figure out something different we could do for our Foolscast mix, and the art direction for the outdoor party obviously ties in with psychedelic rock. There is a grocery store in Brooklyn called Food Town where they have a station that plays tons of ’60s music, and there is a lot of overlap with Vietnam movie soundtracks from when we were kids, like Platoon, Full Metal Jacket and the TV show Tour of Duty (its opening credits were to “Paint it Black” by the Stones). It’s a weird filter but it’s really powerful music.
So anyway, we came up with a big list, and then narrowed it down to 1967-1973, took out the obvious “UBB Rock Breaks” (“In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida”) and the stuff which was too soft (“Strawberry Letter 23″), then we each mixed for 30 minutes and boom! Summer Of The Rub Foolscast. We suggest cranking it in the park in your Fools Gold tie-dye tee, with a cold beer and an arsenal of hand grenade water balloons.