Food Gold: Kale and Sausage Souper Soup
Posted on Dec 1st, 2010 in Food Gold by Mr. Goldbar
It’s cold, you are lazy and you want to cook something. I got you! You should make this hearty as hell kale and sausage soup. It’s got a bit of kick, lots of leafy green goodness and a wonderful body thanks to the potatoes. It also takes about 40 minutes total to cook up so if you are not sold yet, you should be now. Trust me this is a very forgiving recipe, impossible to mezz up. Let’s go!
Kale + Sausage Souper Soup
– Approx 1/2 lb any type of spicy sausage like Chorizo, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
– Approx 3/4 kale, washed and chopped with most of the tough stems removed
– 2 medium sized Russett-style potatoes, cut into medium sized chunks
– 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
– 1 quart Stock
– 1 quart water
– Olive Oil
– Sour Cream to garnish
– Special equipment: Stock Pot/Big Pot
1. In decent sized stock pot, heat up tablespoon or so of olive oil over medium heat. Once oil is hot and moves in waves, throw in your sausage and onions. Cook until the onions have softened up and the sausage has given up some of its amazing juices, about 8 minutes or so.
2. Add your stock AND water.
3. Add your potatoes and put heat on LOW. We are going to simmer these guys.
4. Cook until potatoes fall apart when you smash them against the side of the stock pot, approx 15 plus minutes.
5. Add the kale and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. Normally we want our veggies to be beautiful and bright in color but in this case we need to let the Kale mellow out so as to remove some of the bitter kick.
6. Once kale tastes good, you are done! Serve and garnish with some sour cream and paprika and ENJOY!
Fork The World,
*inspired by FoodWishes.com