Food Gold: Watermelon Two Ways
Posted on Aug 16th, 2011 in Food Gold by Mr. Goldbar
This week we are going to hit you with two classic, refreshing watermelon dishes. One is a soup and the other is a salad but if you were to add some lovely grilled shrimp to either, they could easily work as entrees. As summer winds down, I recommend you get these two in before it’s braising season come Fall. Let’s get it!
Classic Watermelon + Feta Salad (serves 6-8)
– 2 lbs pre cut watermelon chunks or 1 five lb watermelon, cut up into big chunks with seeds removed
– 1 sweet onion, minced (remember you are serving it raw so keep the pieces very small)
– 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
– 1/2 cup good, fruity olive oil
– 2 tablespoons fresh chopped mint
– 1/4 lb feta, crumbled
– Mint sprigs for garnish
1. Make the dressing by throwing red wine vinegar and the salt/pepper in bowl and slowly adding olive oil until emulsified. Finish off with the fresh chopped mint.
2. Cut onion into small pieces and throw in a large mixing bowl, along with watermelon bits. Add crumbled feta and that delicious dressing you just made and mix well.
3. Garnish with mint leaves, serve and enjoy!
Chilled Watermelon + Cucumber Summer Soup (serves 4 or so)
– 1 lb watermelon chunks
– 2 cucumbers, seeded and peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
– small chili or jalapeno pepper, minced VERY finely (use 1/2 at first add more to taste)
– 1/4 glove garlic, minced VERY finely (remember this is going in raw)
– Juice of 1/2 a lemon
– Salt/Pepper to taste
– 2 tablespoons expensive nice olive oil
1. Throw everything except olive oil and salt and pepper in blender and blend until smooth. Taste, taste, taste as you check seasoning.
2. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours to let the flavors blend.
3. Serve in bowls and garnish with drizzle of olive oil.
Fork The World,