Food Gold Video Party: Gruyere Chive Biscuits with Justine D!
Boy do we have a special treat for you this week on Food Gold. Our dear friend (DJ/promoter/pastry chef extraordinaire) Justine D took some time off from her studies at the prestigious French Culinary Institute to join our Food Gold Video Party to teach us how to make some delectable Gruyere Chive Biscuits. We know we have neglected showing love to baked goods on Food Gold before, but we really wanted to wait until the perfect moment to drop that knowledge. Well, that moment has arrived. Y’all ready?!
Ingredients, full recipe and a food porn gallery of some of Justine’s amazing work are after de jump!
GRUYERE CHIVE BISCUITS
Makes 10-12 biscuits
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/3 cup grated Gruyere cheese (Cheddar or any other BIG cheese works too)
1 tablespoon freshly chopped chives
2/3 cup milk
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, cream of tartar and sugar.
2. Cut butter into 1/2 tablespoon pieces, and work it in with your fingers until mixture is coarse and crumbly. Stir in cheese and chives.
3. Make a well in center of flour mixture, pour in milk, and stir with a fork just until dough comes together. Do not overmix. Turn onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently 10 to 12 times to desired thickness.
4. Pat dough into a circle about 1 inch thick. Cut out biscuits using a floured 2-inch-round cutter. Transfer biscuits to a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake until brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
5. Serve with butter and enjoy!
Special thanks to Justine D
Shot and Edited by Lizi Gross
FORK THE WORLD!
And, as promised…